Skelsmergh church parish was created in the 19th century to serve
the townships of Skelsmergh, Scalthwaiterigg
and Patton. The church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, stands in a very prominent position a mile out of
Kendal and in close proximity to the A6, and was built between 1869 and 1871 by
Joseph Bintley, a Westmorland architect. The entrance to the churchyard is a monument to those who died from
the parish during the First World War. The three light East window is of the Crucifixion, designed and executed
by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. There is a leaflet on the history of the church with text by Tony Cousins and graphics
by Bryony Cousins at this link.
Regular worship is led by the Beacon Team Ministry.
Members of the congregation take on the duties of reading, preparing the intercessions
and chalice administration. Two members of the congregation take part in the provision
of hospital communion, organised by the Beacon Team, at the Westmorland General Hospital. The services have
a regular and committed congregation, who are mainly elderly. Festivals attract more people; the Easter
and Christmas Eve ‘Carols and Candlelight’ services are particularly well-attended. Many of the congregation
come from outside the parish but have strong links with Skelsmergh.
For details of the Beacon Team Ministry and its activities, go to its website at
The Revd Canon Nigel Davies, St Oswald's Vicarage, Burneside, Kendal,Cumbria LA9 6QX
Telephone: 01539 722015